Fr. Lawrence (Francis) Frankovich
Fr. Larry FrankovichFr. Larry, as he is known by the majority of his Franciscan brothers, was born November 28, 1938 in Pittsburgh, Pa. where he completed his high school education. He then continued his studies in Westmont, Il., entered the novitiate in Teutopolis, Il. in 1958, and then completed his philosophical studies in Cleveland, Ohio. He completed his theological studies in Teutopolis, Il. and was ordained a priest on January 9, 1966. Fr. Larry was Director of Spiritual Activities at Our Lady of Peace Friary in Beaver Falls from 1966 until 1969. He continued his post- graduate studies at Notre Dame University during the summer months and received a Master of Arts in Liturgical Studies in 1968. The next year he was named superior of St. Francis Friary in Gulf Breeze for one year. During that year he taught religion at the local Catholic high school and served as a civilian auxiliary chaplain at the nearby Air Force Bases. He next served as associate pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Milwaukee (1970-1977). During that time he pursued further graduate studies at Marquette University and received his doctoral degree in Historical Theology in 1976. The following year he lectured at the same university. Then for one year he was pastor of St. Anthony's Parish in Sharon. He then assumed a teaching position for seven years at Kansas Newman College in Wichita, KS. He was appointed pastor of St. Joseph's Parish in Bethlehem in 1985, and during his nine years there he taught at both Allentown College of St. Frances de Sales and Mary Immaculate Seminary. He became pastor of St. Augustine's Parish in West Allis in 1994 and remained there until 1999. He then assumed a teaching position in theology at St. Joseph's Seminary in Yonkers (Dunwoodie), N.Y., the major seminary for the Archdiocese of New York. Fr. Larry served on the Custodial Board for three terms (1973-1976, 1988-1991, 2000-2003). He worked with Fr. Timothy Majić in preparing the Golden Jubilee Book for the 50th Anniversary of the Custody in 1976. He has published a number of articles in the following magazines: The Homiletic and Pastoral Review, Liturgy, The Priest and The Dunwoodie Review.  Since September 2000, he serves as pastor of St. Augustine parish in West Allis, and in 2006 he was named pastor again.

 

 

Friars