ST. JOSEPH’S PARISH, ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI

   A large group of Croatians from St. Louis organized a Croatian parish in 1902, and various priests worked with them.   Rev. Oskar Šuster arrived in St. Louis in 1904, and during the same year a Jewish synagogue was purchased and  altered into a Catholic church.The church and hall became the focal meeting point for Croatians of St. Louis.  Nevertheless, due to a disagreement with some parish council members, Rev. Šuster left St. Louis in 1909, and the parish was left without a pastor.  During his pastorate a school was established in 1906 with sisters arriving in 1908 but leaving shortly thereafter.  The new pastor was Rev. Josip Kompare, a Slovenian.  He arrived in 1910 and by 1917 managed to pay off all the church’s debts.  Sisters, Adorers of the Blood of Christ from Alton, Illinois arrived in 1910 and started teaching in the school.   That location had to be abandoned due to the construction of a highway.  An academy and an Ursuline convent on Russel Boulevard and 12th Street were purchased in 1925.  The buildings were  renovated in 1926.  In 1927 construction began on a new large church which was completed and blessed  following year.  In the meanwhile, in 1926, Franciscans from the Croatian Commissariat began ministering in the parish.  Outstanding debts were paid by the 1940s.  Due to the poor condition of the school building, the school was temporarily closed in 1946. During that year the building was remodeled and  then reopened.  Construction of new highways from  1950-1967 caused Croatian families to move to other parts of the city or its suburbs. This drastically reduced the number of parishioners.  The arrival of immigrants from central Bosnia after 1970 increased the number of parishioners.  The school closed in 1983 due to decreasing enrollment.  During Fr. Vjekoslav Bambir’s pastorate a grand new parish hall was built (1985 – 1986).

        From 1904, when the parish records began, to 1996, 4271 children were baptized, 2125 individuals were buried, 1497 couples were married, 1140 individuals were confirmed, and 753 children received First Holy Communion.

        The following friars have served in the  parish:

1904.-1909. Fr. Oskar Šuster

1909.-1910. Parish without Pastor

1910.-1925. Fr. Josip Kompare

1925.  pater I. M. Fabris, Jesuit

1925.-1926. pater Miroslav Vanino, Jesuit 

 

Year

 

Pastor

 

Year

 

Associate Pastor

1926-28

fra Ambro Mišetić

1928.

fra Filip Šeparović

1928-37

fra Filip Šeparović

1928-1930

fra Gabrijel Cvitanović

 

 

1931.

fra Anzelmo Slišković

 

 

1931-1937

fra Leon Medić

1937-38

fra Vladimir Luburić

1937-1938

fra Hugolin Feysz

1938-39

fra Bono Andačić

1938-1939

fra Teofil Pehar

1939-47

fra Teofil Pehar

1946-1947

fra Mario Matić

1947-68

fra Špiro Andrijanić

1947-1949

fra Patrik Cigić

 

 

1949-1951

fra Ivo Sivrić

 

 

1951-1954

fra Zoran Ostojić

 

 

1952-1954

fra Marcel Ćabo

 

 

1952-1953

fra Oton Knezović

 

 

1954-1955

fra Vitomir Naletilić

 

 

1954-1957

fra Kruno Pandžić

 

 

1955-1957

fra Franjo Radišić

 

 

1956-1960

fra Dominik Ćorić

 

 

1956-1963

fra Bono Bilandžić

 

 

1961-1963

fra Častimir Majić

 

 

1963-1969

fra Patrik Cigić

1968-70

fra Serafin Vištica

1969-1972

fra Vlado Mišetić

1970-76

fra Pavao Maslać

1972-1976

fra Vitomir Naletilić

1976-79

fra Vitomir Naletilić

1976.

fra Vincent Cvitković

 

 

1977-1979

fra Vjekoslav Bambir

1979-91

fra Vjekoslav Bambir

1979-1999

fra Ivo Sivrić

1991-2010

fra Josip Abramović

 

 

2010- fra Stjepan Pandžić    

Parishes Index

ST. AUGUSTINE PARISH, WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN

The parish was founded in 1928 and the first pastor was Rev. Franjo Bahorić.   The Croatian Franciscans began ministering in the parish in 1930.  Fr. Zvonko Mandurić (1930-1934) built a rectory.  A basement hall was built in 1930, and services were held there until the completion of the upper church in 1938.  Other buildings  as a rectory,  large school and an extension of the church were constructed during the long pastorate of Fr. Blaž Jerković (1936-1955).  The old rectory was altered for the sisters, the Daughters of Divine Charity, who arrived in the parish  in 1949.  Upon their arrival, the sisters gave religious instruction and worked in the parish; they were also teachers in the school once it opened in 1954.  Fr. Blaž’s successor was Fr. Vjekoslav Bambir (1955-1967), who had a small hall, a large hall and kitchen added to the school. Also a new and larger vestibule was added to the church. 

        From the beginning of the parish to 1995, 3207 children were baptized, 1401individuals were buried, 1703 couples were married, 2025 children were confirmed and 2694 children received First Holy Communion. 

        The following priests have served in the  parish:

Fr. Franjo Bahorić 1928.-1929. 

 

Year

 

Pastor

 

Year

 

Associate Pastor

1930-34

fra Zvonko Mandurić

 

 

1934-35

fra Hugolin Feysz

 

 

1935-36

fra Leon Medić

 

 

1936.

fra Bono Bilandžić

 

 

1936-55

fra Blaž Jerković

1942-46

fra Bono Bilandžić

 

 

1946-50

fra Božidar Benković

 

 

1950-55

fra Vjekoslav Bambir

 

 

1954-55

fra Ambroz Budimir

1955-67

fra Vjekoslav Bambir

1955-60

fra Blaž Jerković

 

 

1955-59

fra Bono Bilandžić

 

 

1959-62

fra Charles Pleše

 

 

1960-66

fra Trpimir Musa

 

 

1962-68

fra Anthony Dukić

1967-68

fra Vendelin Vasilj

1968-74

fra Josip Galić

1968-76

fra Anthony Dukić

1974-75

fra Slavko Soldo

1976-86

fra Josip Galić

1975- ?

fra Karlo Zovko

 

 

1980-82

fra Mate Ruyechan

 

 

1985-89

fra Stjepan Bedeniković

1986-88

fra Slavko Soldo

 

 

1988-94

fra Jerko Kućan

1989.

fra Veselko Kvesić

1994-99

fra Lawrence Franković

 

 

1999 -00

fra Robert Galinac

 

 

2000- fra Lawrence Franković    

Parishes Index


        In this summary of parishes in the United States, it should also be noted that Fr. Ljubo Čuvalo, a Hercegovinian Franciscan and Commissariat member, worked as a pastor for six years in a Croatian parish in Portland  (1936-1943).  In addition, other Franciscans, members of the Custody, occasionally worked in several Croatian and American parishes, which are not mentioned here.  Please refer to the summary of individual priests in this book for further details.

Parishes Index..............................................Next

Back To Top

 

Activities Directory . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Main Index