ST. JEROME PARISH, DETROIT - ST. LUCY PARISH, TROY, MICHIGAN

        The Croatians living in Detroit were attracted to the area by job opportunities in the strong automobile industry. They wanted to have their own Croatian parish in the early 1900s, but their wish was not fulfilled until a Croatian priest, Rev. Oskar Šuster, arrived in Detroit in 1923.  In the beginning masses were celebrated in other churches.  In 1924 the Croatians purchased an Anglican church with a rectory on Melbourne Street.  The church was than dedicated to St. Jerome. The church was renovated and blessed  in 1925.  As the Croatians began moving out of the area after 1950, Rev. Šuster’s assistant, Rev. Viktor Štefanac built a new Croatian church on the north side of the city.  It was a beautiful church that contained, among other things, works by the noted Croatian sculptor, Ivan Meštrović.  The church served the Croatians until 1996.  The Croatian Franciscan Custody began ministering in the parish in 1976. 

        During the 1980s, Croatians began moving out of the north side of Detroit, and plans were made to build another church in a more convenient location.  Nearly a decade later, those plans became a reality through the work of Fr. Josip Nenad Galić.  Through the sale of the old church of St. Jerome, the church halls and the rectory, as well as through the parishioners’ donations and the substantial donation of Mrs. Lucille Drazick Prepolec, a beautiful new church, rectory and a large parish hall were built in 1995/1996.  Today this may be the most beautiful Croatian church complex in the entire United States.  The debt continues to be reduced.

        From 1923 until 1995, in this parish 2630 children were baptized, 1604 individuals were buried,  975 couples  were married, 973 individuals were confirmed, and 904 children received First Holy Communion. Masses are celebrated in both English and Croatian.  :

    The following friars have served in the parish:

Fr. Oskar Šuster                1923.-1960.                       

Fr. Stephen Malarić            1960.-1976.                       

fra Ante Čuvalo                    1976.

fra Anthony Dukić                1976.-1978.             

fra Vincent Cvitković             1978.-1982.

fra Jozo Čuić                        1982.-1989.

fra Nenad Galić              1989.-1997.

fra Slaven Mijatović         1997.-2000

Fra Marko Puljic    2000 -2001

fra Nikola Pašalic   2001-2006

Fra Jozo Cuic    2006-

            Associate Pastors were: Rev. Dragutin Kamber (1952.-1954.), Rev. Viktor Štefanac (1954.-?), fr. Ante Čuvalo (1972.-1976.), fr. Vilim Primorac (1976.-1979.), Fr. Šimun Šito Čorić (1979-1980), and also following priests have served: George Rozman, Edward T. Walling, Viktor Rogulj, Arthur Linz, Rudolf Hrašćanec, Robert Burke, Zvonko Radošević and Dayton Gnau.    

SACRED HEART OF JESUS PARISH, MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN

        This parish was founded by Fr. Placid Belavić in 1917.  During that same year a Lutheran church on 7th and Galena Streets was purchased. He left the parish shortly thereafter because of friction with the parishioners.  In 1927, Rev. Charles  Jesih was instrumental in bringing the School Sisters of St. Francis from Lemont, Illinois to the parish.  That same year the sisters started a school which unfortunately closed three years later due to an economic crisis.  Since 1930 the parish was entrusted to the Croatian Franciscan Commissariat.  The first pastor was Fr. Ambro Mišetić.  When Croatians began moving out of the area, Fr. Lujbo Čuvalo, the pastor, purchased land for the construction of a new church on North 49th Street.  In 1948 Fr. Silvije Grubišić, the new pastor, , began the building of the new church, which was completed in 1949 and blessed in 1950.  All outstanding debts were paid by 1953.  The Daughters of Divine Charity from Akron, Ohio came to work in the parish in 1954.  A parish hall and a school were built by 1957.  The sisters staffed the school until 1993 when it was closed due to  low student enrollment.  Since then the school building has been rented out to a private school.  Through the years neighboring non-Croatian Catholics became parishioners primarily because their children had attended the  parochial school, but the Croatian presence continues to remain dominant in the parish.

        From 1917 to 1995 , 2998 children were baptized, 1768 individuals were buried, 1017 couples were married, 635 individuals were confirmed and 698 children received First Holy Communion.

        The folowing friars have served in the parish:

1917.  fra Placid Belavić

1917.-1918.      vlč. Josip Sorić

1918.  vlč. Dragutin Jesih

1918.-1921.       vlč. Jakov Černe

1921.-1922.    vlč. Anton Sojar

1922.-1930. vlč. Dragutin Jesih 

 

Year

 

Pastor

 

Year

 

Associate Pastor

1930-37

fra Ambro Mišetić

 

 

1937-43

fra Filip Šeparović

1938 - ?

fra Hugolin Feysz

1943-46

fra Kornelije Ravlić

 

 

1946-49

fra Ljubo Čuvalo

 

 

1949-50

fra Silvije Grubišić

 o. 1950.

fra Emanuel Rajić

1950-55

fra Zvonko Mandurić

1950-55

fra Bono Bilandžić

1955-61

fra Vendelin Vasilj

1955-59

fra Ambroz Budimir

 

 

1959-62

fra Marko Kozina

1961-67

fra Ferdinand Skoko

1962-64

fra Charles Pleše

 

 

1964-70

fra Pavao Maslać

1967-79

fra Častimir Majić

1970-77

fra Lawrence Franković

 

 

1977-78

fra Jerko Kućan

1979-82

fra Josip Abramović

 

 

1982-85

fra Ferdinand Skoko

1984-85

fra Ilija Puljić

1985-86

fra Ilija Puljić

1985-86

fra Jerko Kućan

1986-89

fra Nenad Galić

1986-87

fra Robert Galinac

1989.

fra Stjepan Bedeniković

 

 

1989-94

fra Marko Puljić

 

 

1994-2000

fra Stjepan Bedeniković

 

 

2000-12 Fra Pavo Maslac 2009-12 Fra Stipe Renić
2013- Fra Ivan Strmečki    

SS. CYRIL & METHODIUS PARISH, NEW YORK, NEW YORK

        As early as 1910 the Croatian Franciscan, Fr. Ambrozije Širca, tried to establish a Croatian parish in New York.  Unsuccessful in his efforts, he moved to Hoboken, on the other side of the Hudson River in 1910 where he started maintaining the parish records.  In 1913 Fr. Irenej Petri…ak founded the Croatian parish in New York.  In the beginning, he rented a church on West 50th Street between 9th and 10th Avenue.   It was purchased by the new pastor, Fr. Ambrozije Širca, and his parishioners in 1914.  This small and unimpressive church served the Croatian community for a full 60 years.  Fr. Ambrozije’s successor was once again Fr. Irenej, who had a parish hall constructed below the church.  In 1931, the Daughters of Divine Charity from Rankin, Pennsylvania arrived to work in the parish.  They were succeeded by the Franciscan Sisters in 1971.  Due to inadequate space, the Croatians started using the parish hall of the neighboring St. Raphael Parish on West 40th Street and 10th Avenue in 1971 for their parish activities.  That same year the archdiocese gave the hall to the Croatians, who renovated it and renamed it the “Croatian Center – St. Nikola Tavelic.”  Soon they began to celebrate one Sunday mass in the spacious St. Raphael’s Church.  Finally, in 1974, the Croatians moved from their small church to the , more spacious building 10 blocks away.  In the ensuing years there was a total renovation of the dilapidated and neglected church and rectory.  These buildings  were totally renovated and put to full use by 1977.  The renovation of the church was formally celebrated that year. Cardinal Cooke, Archbishop of New York, led a procession through the nearby streets and celebrated the mass.. The restoration of the church was coordinated by the pastor, Fr. Mladen „uvalo.  After 1977, under the guidance of Fr. Mladen and his successors, there were numerous other renovationins on the church and the rectory, including a roof and the modernization of the heating system.  A tract of land in Boonton,  New Jersey was purchased in 1973 and cleared for use.  Picnics, sporting  tournaments and other  events continue to be held on the Croatian Highland.  During Fr. Slavko Soldo’s pastorate the renovation of the hall underneath the church was undertaken.  Work on this project started in 1993 and was finished in 1999 during Fr. Marko Puljiƒ’s pastorate.  A supplementary Croatian school has been in operation from 1974 to the present.  The parish radio program has been airing from 1974.  Services are still exclusively held in the Croatian language.

        From 1910 (when record keeping was initiated) to 1995 in this parish, 5213 children were baptized, 1048 individuals were buried, 2183 couples were married, 1336 individuals were confirmed, and 1099 children received First Holy Communion.

The following friars have served in the parish:

 

Year

 

Pastor

 

Year

 

Associate Pastor

1913-14

fra Irenej Petričak

1913.

fra Plecid Belavić

1914-16

fra Ambrozije Širca

1914-16

fra Irenej Petričak

1916-26

fra Irenej Petričak

1922.

fra Bono Andačić

1926-33

fra Franjo Čuturić

 

 

1933-36

fra Bono Andačić

 

 

1936-50

fra Zvonko Mandurić

1949-53

fra Steve Raich

1950-60

fra Anzelmo Slišković

 

 

 

 

1952-56

fra Ivo Sivrić

 

 

1956-57

fra Miron Lasić

 

 

1957-58

fra Kruno Pandžić

 

 

1958-59

fra Roko Romac

 

 

1959-63

fra Bruno Raspudić

1960-61

fra Božidar Benković

 

 

1961-62

fra Patrik Cigić

 

 

1962-64

fra Zvonko Mandurić

1963-67

fra Častimir Majić

1964-68

fra Silvije Grubišić

1967-68

fra Vitomir Naletilić

1968-72

fra Vitomir Naletilić

1968-72

fra Mladen Čuvalo

1972-79

fra Mladen Čuvalo

1971-75

fra Leon Galić

 

 

1972-73

fra Charles Pleše

 

 

1973-74

fra Hrvoslav Ban

 

 

1973-80

fra Rafo Romić

 

 

1974-75

fra Karlo Zovko

 

 

1974-75

fra Ljubo Krasić

 

 

1975-77

fra Slavko Soldo

 

 

1975-76

fra Ivan Bradvica

 

 

1977-78

fra Drago Tolj

 

 

1978-80

fra Šimun Ćorić

 

 

1978-81

fra Hrvoslav Ban

1979-86

fra Slavko Soldo

1980-82

fra Svetozar Kraljević

 

 

1982-84

fra Stjepan Pandžić

 

 

1983-89

fra Marko Puljić

 

 

1984-88

fra Stipe Pervan

1986-89

fra Ilija Puljić

1988-89

fra Miro Grubišić

1989-94

fra Slavko Soldo

1989-90

fra Jozo Grubišić

 

 

1989-91

fra Veselko Kvesić

 

 

1991.

fra Miro Grubišić

 

 

1991-98

fra Steve Raich        

 

 

1992-94

fra Ivan Prusina

 

 

1993-95

fra Jozo Grbeš

1994-00

fra Marko Puljić

1994-95

fra Robert Kiš

 

 

1995-98

fra Valentin Vukoja   

 

 

1998-01

fra Robert Jolić

2000-02

fra Slaven Mijatović

 2001-03

fra Ivica Majstorovic

2003-06 fra Ivica Majstorovic 2003-05 fra Ante Bekavac
2006- fra Nikola Pasalic 2005-09 fra Stipe Renic

Parishes Index................................................Next

Back To Top

 

Activities Directory . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Main Index